This afternoon we were called to the smell of gas at Good Start Early Learning Centre. By the time Woodend Pumper arrived, the carers had done a sensational job in evacuating all of the children. We donned Breathing Apparatus and investigated the LPG Gas Cylinders and found that this was not the source of the leak. We then instructed that the children be moved to the further evacuation point at St Ambrose Primary School as police blocked off the road. By this stage Woodend Tanker 1 had arrived and we called for the gas detector from Gisborne. Crews were then sent to investigate nearby properties to see if it was a Natural Gas leak. It was eventually discovered that the source of the smell was hot, burnt gearbox oil from a nearby factory. Once this had been isolated, we cleaned up the site, and then allowed the children to return. A great job by the carers at Good Start and also our CFA volunteer crews.